Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Childhood

My first memory ever is of my siblings and me going outside to the driveway and hanging up a sign that said "Welcome Home Kaitlin and Mom". My sister had been born and she was coming home from the hospital soon. I remember sitting on the driveway waiting for what seemed like forever, even though it was probably just a few minutes because I thought they were going to drive up any minute. It's interesting how we remember things. I don't see my little 3 year old self, I see through my eyes, watching my siblings hanging the sign and my little feet and legs out in front of me while I sat and waited (it's hard to imagine I'm that small again).... In in a geneology class, which is a little boring, they keep stressing the idea of keeping a journal "for my posterity". Honestly. Are they going to care? And they want us to write personal histories, "soon you won't remember". I'm 21. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to forget huge life memories anytime soon. But maybe it is important. Then my grandchildren can read my autobiography and say "Pluto used to be a planet? Wow, you guys were dumb." And I'll tell them that some dumb ole scientist one day decided that Pluto just wasn't a planet. How dumb is that? And they'll agree. But, you can't just decide one day that a planet just isn't a planet. I hate science. (And in further detail, I hate Sir Issac Newton. Mostly because of the whole calculus thing...)

But we were so dumb as kids, and I am so glad I never jumped on the Hansen or Spice Girls bandwagon...

No comments: